Monday, July 6, 2009

Geospatial Literacy

I am a Social Studies teacher who is so grateful for the technology out there for my students. Geospatial literacy has challenged my students, but at the same time has kept them intrigued. They love to look at various maps and see the world in new ways.

In my World History class this year, I am going to have my students use Google Earth during our WWII unit. I want them to compare Germany, France, and Japan during WWII versus what the countries look like today. I want students to see the places where battles once took place and how the country has developed from the damages. They can track the war as well.

For Sociology, I teach a unit on crime. I really like the National Atlas since it allows you to create maps for various crimes. I am going to have my students look up crimes across the nation then have them synthesize and analyze why (more or less) crimes take place in certain areas.

There are so many great tools out there for Social Studies, I just wish I had more access to technology in my classroom. As a goal, I would really like my students to be using Google Earth or some type of applied maps at least once a week!

Brooke

1 comment:

Alison Knits Some Love said...

Great practical application of these geospatial tools to your curriculum. I like your idea about tracking crime. What a real world assignment, I'm sure your students will buy-in to it and gain the ability to use data in a practical way. Showing history in a comparison to today will also help student make connections. Till you get laptops for every kids, at least a projector and your computer will give your students a window to what is out there. Nice write-up.