Saturday, December 6, 2008

Reposting My Ideas

I posted this as a comment under Alison's initial post, but I'm reposting it on the main blog now that I am able to. :)

Hey all!

I know there is a lot of potential for these little website activities...I looked at two that I thought had some relevance to activities we recently completed, and I'd love to see how they work next time around.

The first was using the Gmaps Pedometer. I wanted to see how detailed of a map I could pull up of Outdoor Lab, and was able to see most of the individual trails, not to mention the entire site. So I thought it would be cool to have the kids log on when we get home, take their schedule from the week, and track their hiking distance at least, and maybe their calories burned to see how active their week was. I tracked one of my hikes just as a test, and I think they would enjoy reliving some of their classes from an overhead view.

The other dealt with volcano maps from UNAVCO. We're dealing with volcanoes in our geology unit, and it would be neat for the kids to pull up maps of the volcanoes around the world and see how the layout of the world affects these structures.

Just a few brief ideas.

2 comments:

Shannon Carmody said...

Sean,

That is a great idea for Outdoor Lab. It connects a variety of disciplines and content.

Shannon

Alison Knits Some Love said...

I responded on the other post. great ideas. Alison